Monday, October 5, 2015

Five of my Favorite Bible Verses



Bibles are great. Sad? Open a Bible. Happy? Bible. Worried? Bible. My first 'official' Bible was one I got from my girls youth group. It has a patriotic book cover on it and these funky little quizzes inside. It's seen better days, not that that's a bad thing! Last year on my birthday Ry got me my first 'adult' Bible I guess you could call it. The thing is beautifulllll, but it needed to be highlighted and post-it flagged and so it has been.

A lot.

 
 
So, I'm just gonna get right to it. These are my favorite Bible verses. Woo! Also note that I live in the New Testament. I'm sure my old Bible had tons of highlights in the old, but me and this magenta lovely haven't got that far yet.
 
 
Luke 12:22-26
"Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Sine you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?"
 
I love this because I'm a worrier. I love that the Bible talk to worriers so much, because clearly I'm not the only one, right? I love that this talks about so many different worries. I just love this.
 
Romans 12: 6-8
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."
 
I honestly think about everyone's gifts so much it's ridiculous. I think it's so great that we were all made differently and how we can help each other and grow together by using all of our different gifts. Also love that it says "if it is teaching, then teach." I think I might put that on my desk someday.
 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
 
Probably my most favorite verse right now. It's so simple.
 
James 4:13-15
"Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."
 
I found this recently, and goodness it hit me hard. I'm a planner. I plan to plan, guys. It's bad. I love that this, to me, is saying that planning is silly. We don't know what's happening in ten minutes, days, or years. If it's in God's plan it'll happen. Our plans don't mean anything.
 
1 John 4:19
"We love because he first loved us."
 
I've always loved this one. But, this new Bible has little notes at the bottom and the little note for this verse says 'All love comes ultimately from God; genuine love is never self-generated by his creatures.' I thought that was really interesting.
 
What're your favorite verses?
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment