Thursday, September 3, 2015

Three Things I'd Say to Myself as a College Freshman

This week it's just really hit me how old I am (not that old... I apologize to forty-year old Sammy who may read this someday...) and how far I've come since I was in high school. Or a freshman in college for that matter. I came from a small school to a university alone and terrified. I had no friends, I had no connections to campus groups. And I was scared.

I know there are other people who go through this every year, and I want you to know it's gonna be okay. You're gonna make it, scared little girl faking confidence! And it's all gonna be okay. Also, I look the exact same... almost-22 Sammy and barely 18 Sammy are twins, I swear. Ugh.


1// You will make friends, and you will love them, even when they move away when they transfer universities. You will make more friends, and you will make the greatest memories going on beach trips at 3 am and making dinner together because dining hall food is awful even when it's free, and you will rejoice with them in their celebrations and cry with them in their sadness because their lives are as much your own as they are theirs. Who knows, you might even fall in love with one of them...but I'm not spoiling anything.

2// Dont cut off all contact to home, but don't wait around for the people you left in high school that really don't deserve you. There are much better people in the world, sweetheart, and even though they don't know it yet they are dying to meet you and you will have such an impact on the lives of those around you.

 
3// Don't hide your faith because your roommates values don't align with your own. Get involved, branch out, take a risk. Wake up early to spend time with your Father and speak up when what they're doing affect you and makes you uncomfortable. Don't move, because staying will make you stronger, but don't be afraid to speak up. You're not below anyone, you are always equal. Always.



You'll make it, love. You'll make it and you will look back on your life now and you will be so happy for all of the blessings and the mistakes that college has brought you. And you will be so excited for your future, hon.

Linking up with... The Diary of A Real Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment