Friday, September 11, 2015

Serving When It's Hard (5 on Friday)

Sometimes, I find myself in situations in which its hard to serve. I always dislike these situations because my patience is something that I'm working on, and even though I really like helping people. I don't really like helping people when they're rude. Ya know?

I'm one of those people (but then again, aren't we all?) who think that everyone should have to work some kind of customer service job in their lifetime. You won't yell at someone about a closing time they're not in control of if you have worked a job and been yelled at before, you won't order tons of food and then walk out without leaving a tip if that's happened to you, etc. At least I hope you wouldn't.

So, when I'm in these situations (only sometimes, thank goodness) I remind myself of these five things and sometimes (sometimes) it makes it better.

1. The Big Picture. I am serving others because it's a job that I have agreed to do, or because I want to do something for someone else, but ultimately I'm serving because it's nice and it's the right thing to do. I'm not serving to gain their approval, or to make myself happy.

2. Maybe serving someone kindly will have a positive effect on their day. I don't know what's happened to them today or this week or in their life in general. If they've had a bad morning and being treated kindly by you helps relieve their stress and treat everyone else for the rest of the day, then great!

3. What someone says about you (I'm talkin' about the customer that yells and says mean things completely irrelevant to the situation...) says more about that person than it does about you. Just because you make a mistake doesn't mean someone can treat you badly. They can be angry, sure, but you're still a person.

4. We are called to serve, and serving is an act of obedience and love shown to others. Embrace that.

5. Maybe someone, somewhere, will recognize your obedience and dedication and it'll be even more positive for them. You never know.

Linking up with the Faith & Fellowship Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment