Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Who Are You Not To Be?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
- Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love.

This. is my favorite quote in the entire world. When I was a senior in high school my basketball team was on the way to state, the first girls team from my school to ever make it that far, and my principal at the time (who is one of the people I respect the most in life for many reasons) handed me a folded up piece of paper and told me to read it out loud to everyone on the bus after we were on our way.

I read the quote to my team, my coach noted that it was mentioned in a movie, and we continued on our way. But I held on to that piece of paper. It's followed me through three different school desks, and still sits on my desk today. That same piece of paper, fold marks and all.

I think it means so much to me because it was handed to me by someone I admired, on the way to an important event in my life, it references God, and it just resonates with me.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

To me, this means that my fears don't come from not being good enough, they come from being good enough but not acting on my God given talents and abilities and settling for something far less than what I'm capable of. I (we) fear putting ourselves out there and showing what we can do when staying in the shadows and being a fly on the wall is so much more comfortable.

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

We (I) convince ourselves so often that we're not as good as the person across the street, or the other girl with the popular blog, or the teacher the next classroom over. But we have gifts they don't, and we have skills they don't, and even that person isn't perfect. We are all children of God, we are all capable and beautiful and wonderful and we should shine!

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

I want to serve the world, and if I'm not putting myself out there and trying to serve the world, but hiding, I'm not serving. I won't grow, and neither will anyone else if I'm constantly holding myself back and not showing my gifts to help and serve others so that they don't feel insecure. We can use those gifts and talents and abilities to lift those people up! Just as kids don't worry about what they say and spew honesty (kindly...) or showing their happiness through their constant joy, we shouldn't either.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

God is in all of us, and we should show that through our words and our actions. We are all full of God's love. And as we show that happiness and that joy and what He's given us, we inspire those around us to do the same. As we let go of our insecurities and our doubts and everything else that's holding us back, others might do the same.

What's your favorite quote? What touches your heart when you hear it?



No comments:

Post a Comment