Friday, May 29, 2015

In Ten Years...

In ten years, I will be 31 years old. When I was little I used to think 30 was the oldest a person could ever get, which looking back makes absolutely no sense- my dad was already older than 30...numbers never were my strength. Now, 31 feels like nothing! I fully intend to be active and energetic at not only thirty-one, but also 101, thank you very much! So, I've started thinking about what I want my life to look like in ten short years.

In ten years I hope...

that I'm happily married and had a beautiful, simple wedding and a beautiful God-honoring marriage. I hope to spend Sundays doing nothing and lazing around the house, and to always make sure my husband knows he's loved. I hope to be serious and silly, and to smile because I'm blessed.

that I own a small home, and I actually mean small. My goal is to have a cozy two (maybeee three) bedroom house with a big yard somewhere near the city, but with a country feel. A perfect compromise house. However, no matter what I know I'll love it as long as I love those I'm with (and I will!)

that I'm teaching, or doing something else that makes me happy and lets me help others. Ideally, I'll be in a small school district in a third grade classroom, but we'll see! I hope to emphasize that school is fun, learning is fun, and that my classroom is a safe, fun, place where we also work really hard.

that I have kids, who I will love with my whole heart. I know I'll never be supermom, but I hope that my future kids know that they're loved, that I will always be their number one fan, and that I'll always make time to listen to them and support their dreams. I hope to give them every opportunity they want to pursue, without letting them lose sight of what it means to work hard to achieve their own goals.

that I'm taking care of myself, for myself. I've never been one to pay too much attention to society's standards, but I do know how to be healthy and I hope that I haven't lost sight of that by the time that I'm thirty. I really want my family to eat well and to be active, so I hope that I can be a good role model of that in my own life. I know I talk a lot about how I used to run but have been out of that routine for a while, so hopefully at some point over the next ten years I get into gear and start a routine that will work for me.

Overall, no matter what life looks like ten years from now I hope I'm happy. And I know that as long as I have God and am surrounded by those that I love, that I will be. So, we'll see how the next ten years goes.

Where do you hope to be ten years from now?

3 comments:

  1. We have pretty much the same hopes and dreams. I'm getting married this fall, so there's that. But I'm totally with you on the house thing--I'd rather be semi-close to the city in a small, cute house than way outside the city in a giant one! And I'm so excited for babies, even though we're still going to wait a few years after getting married. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! When I turned 21 a few years ago, I wrote a similar letter to my 16-year-old self about all the things I wish I had known. It's fun to look at that letter now and think of all that has changed from 21 to 23! Glad to find another teacher in blog land...I'm in grad school right now but hopefully I'll have my own classroom soon. :)

    kyliemcgraw.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thank you for commenting, I love writing letters to myself, which I often lose and find at weird times, it's fun! Good luck with your future classroom! :)

      Delete