Friday, May 8, 2015

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind

I was stumbling through random blogs today when I got to this list of fifty questions that are supposed to free your mind. I don't think that my mind needs freeing, but sometimes it's great to reflect on tough questions and revisit what you think. So, I've decided to split these fifty questions into five sections- 10 each. We'll see how it goes. Care to join? Comment with a link to your answers!

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
     I've been told I tend to act either very maturely, or with child-like excitement; the outcome depends on the situation. But, if I had to choose an age I would say that I'm probably right on track with my age at the moment, so 21.

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?
     Failing is much worse, especially if you're like me and constantly question the 'what if's' of life while you're trying to sleep. But, failing isn't fun either.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
      I heard a quote a long time ago that said life isn't short, it's literally the longest thing we will ever do, before heaven of course. I think that we do things we don't like because we have to in order to get to something we do like. Sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do now, to get what you want later. Additionally, I think that we don't do things we like because of fear or other limitations. Hopefully those can be overcome, but if they can't other situations arise.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
     I talk a lot, so it's quite possible.
     Seriously though, I hope not. I hope that my word means something and that I've done everything I've promised to, and that I'm not dreaming up grand scenarios that I'll never at least attempt to pursue.

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
     Inequality. I don't think that everyone should receive exactly the same thing, because I feel that you should have to put in effort and have a work ethic in order to be successful, but I wish that everyone would have the same ability to achieve success (whatever that looks like to them) instead of having some start ten leaps ahead of the game and others start way behind. I know that's a 'perfect world' scenario, but I think a lot of problems could be solved if everyone felt that they could be successful if they tried hard enough.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
     Teaching others. I honestly believe that I was called to work with children in some way, and help them to learn. My goal is to make sure that each child I come across in my classroom finds something that they love about school and look forward to every day because they've made it into something that they can take ownership of.
    Additionally, I know that even if I don't end up completing any of my goals, if I'm happy I will be rich. At the end of the day, I just want to praise God with my words, actions, and life in general; be married to an amazing man; be surrounded by those I love; and be happy.

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
     I've thought long and hard about this, especially because I went through a time when I didn't know if I was choosing to be a teacher because it was what I wanted or what God wanted. But, I think I'm honestly pursuing a career and other life decisions that I believe in. I refuse to settle and I'm proud of myself for getting out of situations in the past in which I knew I would be settling if I stayed.

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
     If the average life span was 40 years I'd be halfway done with my life. I think that I would've spent more time in classrooms, told people how I felt about them and their actions sooner, smiled more, bought the things I wanted instead of waiting 'for a later day', spent more time with my family, served the church more and donated more money to the church.
    And now as I write this I realize these are all things I could do now. Jesus opens my eyes in new ways every day.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
    I started out writing this and saying that I felt like I chose a lot of the decisions I've made in my life, but then I saw that that probably isn't accurate. Now that I think about it, everything I planned has been altered in some way. I planned to attend a different university than I ended up at, I planned to not be an RA (hadn't even considered it), I planned to live in my hometown for my entire life and now I'm considering other options.
    I believe that no matter how much human hearts plan, God's plan will always come out the winner. And, I'm so thankful that's been true in my own life. So I don't feel that I've controlled my life course, because if I had who knows where I'd be. And I'm thankful for that.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
     Doing the right things. I'm afraid of letting people down by doing the wrong thing in life.

So that was the first ten! What'd you think? Did anything surprise you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment