Friday, April 17, 2015

The Big Swing

The Big Swing of death. Just kidding.
The Big Swing. High Ropes. Heights. All things I'm not really the biggest fan of... Or at least I wasn't, until Saturday. On Saturday, my co-workers and I overcame some fears. I say that they overcame fears because I don't really want to think of myself as being the only one who was afraid...

Anyway, back to TBS (The Big Swing.)
TBS consists of a 35 foot high platform, a rope, and a 75 foot swing distance through some trees. We were all given the choice between swinging alone or with a partner. I chose a partner because hey- I love the people I work with, and they wouldn't try to kill me, right? Ha.

So, C and I climbed up to the platform and waited. My knees shook the entire time and I tried to convince myself that it was because of the cold. It wasn't. Finally, the instructor had us sit down and hooked us both to the swing rope. We were told to slowlyyyyy move together and scoot ourselves off of the platform.

I listened.

C didn't.

video


Next thing I knew, I was flying off the platform after C because she scooted much too fast. I remember screaming, a lot, because unexpected falling is a terrible thing, and then I remember laughing. Probably so I wouldn't scream. The last thing I remember is telling C she tried to kill me before we were helped off of the rope by the second instructor.

When I watch the video I laugh a lot. Mainly because the most screaming comes from C! And because my laughing sounds weird and hyperventilatey. I don't think that's an actual word, but eh.

Turns out, C hadn't tried to kill me on purpose. She just said my scooting was too slow for her.

The high ropes are scary, heights are scary, a lot of things in life are scary.

But, this weekend I learned that even when I'm afraid I'm capable of calming myself down and working through it. God gives us this incredible ability to feel peace. Peace that transcends all understanding. A total lack of fear. I realized that many times on Saturday while I stood on high platforms and balanced my shaking knees while standing on cables.

I also realized  should never do The Big Swing with C ever again.



No comments:

Post a Comment